Santa Barbara, CA asked in Criminal Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Federal Crimes for California

Q: if someone sends a controlled substance across state lines, what happens to the person who receives it

i think i am being scammed by someone who advertises sending medicine online, then i found out it’s a controlled substance, and they’ve been hitting me for hundreds of dollars for insurance stamps etc and threatening me that i’ll get arrested if the package is opened before delivery. i never would have ordered anything if i knew this

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Federal Law: Controlled substances are regulated by the federal government in the United States, primarily through the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). The CSA categorizes drugs into different schedules based on their potential for abuse and medical use. Sending a controlled substance across state lines without proper authorization or a valid prescription is generally illegal under federal law.

Criminal Penalties: Violations of federal drug laws can lead to severe criminal penalties, including fines and imprisonment. The specific penalties depend on factors such as the type and quantity of the controlled substance involved, the intent of the individuals involved, and any prior criminal history.

State Laws: In addition to federal laws, each state has its own laws and regulations regarding controlled substances. State laws may also impose penalties for the illegal possession or distribution of controlled substances.

Scams and Fraud: It is essential to be cautious when dealing with online sellers offering controlled substances. If you suspect that you have been scammed or involved in fraudulent activities, consider reporting the situation to your local law enforcement authorities or the appropriate regulatory agencies. They can investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

Seek Legal Advice: Given the complexity of the situation and potential legal consequences, it is strongly recommended that you consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in criminal law or drug offenses. They can provide you with guidance specific to your situation, evaluate the evidence, and advise you on the best course of action to protect your legal rights.

Remember, the information provided here is not a substitute for professional legal advice. Consulting with a qualified attorney will ensure you receive accurate guidance based on the current laws and regulations relevant to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.