Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: My 17 year old has a court appointed attorney and she says she can't talk to him with me present. Is this true

He was arrested for soliciting prostitution from an undercover. She is trying to get him to enter a plea deal and we haven't even went to court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: His attorney probably wants to talk to him about the facts of the case. Anything your son tells his attorney is privileged. The attorney can't be made to disclose what her client told her. On the other hand, what your son says in your presence is not privileged, so, in theory, you could be forced to reveal what you heard.

Also, the attorney probably wants to get instructions from your son, her client, unaffected by what you, as a parent, might want her to do. For example, if the attorney wants to advise him to accept the plea offer, she doesn't want you to second-guess her advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.