Chicopee, MA asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Massachusetts

Q: No Tittle No Registration.

My Grandmother left 2 lands in PR to 4 siblings more then 50 years ago. My mother was leaving in one of the land and my uncle build a house in the second land. All siblings has deceased. I went to PR to find out under who's name was both lands. Theres no record of registration couldn't find any information about both lands. What me and my siblings should do to claim our Inheritance from our mom.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It sounds like the first step would be to contact a real estate attorney In Puerto Rico to see if there is real estate still owned by your grandmother. If there is, then the next step would be to determine where your grandmother was a resident at the time of her death as the law of the State of residence would govern her estate.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.