Estes Park, CO asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Small Claims for Colorado

Q: Looking for solace and answer's in this Messy divorce, I'm open to suggestions on how to pursue legally?

ex-wife felt like telling all our neighbors and even the police that I physically and emotionally abused her. I separated from her because I had enough of the blame someone else for your problems attitude. She even went as far as getting help from a domestic abuse line in which they assisted her with getting a protection order after I left our Martial home. After some time I got it taken down and then 3 to 4 days later she put another one on me this time getting every single neighbor to write a written statement for her and her lies, our neighbors never witnessed anything besides my wife calling the police two times for crazy reasons In which they are not aware of. She even tried to frame me at a certain point in time by wrecking my room and trying to tell the cops that I did it. Her calling the police two times resulted to nothing besides them being the mediator. Keep in mind that there was never any domestic violence. I beat the allegations but left with a bad reputation!

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: This is a hard one particularly because you are dealing with a sensitive topic.

No one wants to say that a domestic violence victim was not a victim but a liar. That being said, it does not mean it is impossible to prove. The real issue comes down to public perspective. A strong case can overcome the default narrative. You need to be ready to put on a strong case or else you can come out looking worse than when you went in.

You may consider viewing the Amber Heard v. Johnny Depp case. Different facts, different people, and so on. Not making any claims as to the contents but just look at the public reactions and you will get a feel for why false DV cases are so difficult.

But that being said, if you can successfully prove that you did not commit DV and you were defamed, the verdicts can be substantial. Just like people don't like to say DV did not occur, they do not like it when people lie about it.

I would recommend you talk to an attorney.

It's a weird topic. Allot of attorneys will not touch it. But some will. You need to do your footwork.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.