Columbus, OH asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: Is there any legal action I can take against my local police for how they handled my crash?

A 15 year old was driving 40mph westbound unlicensed, uninsured, and alone down an eastbound road and hit me head on. I was rushed to the hospital with injuries, while the police gave the 15 year old a citation for “driving down the wrong way” ONLY and then proceeded to take her back to school.

There are some discrepancies in the report along with the fact the 15 year old didn’t get cited for driving 100% illegally (no insurance no license and by herself). I’m speaking with a personal injury lawyer for compensation but in the case there’s nothing they can do because they’re uninsured, can I go after the police for the way they “handled” this crash that resulted in injuries and a totaled vehicle

2 Lawyer Answers
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: No, you cannot sue the police for these actions.

Dimitrios Makridis and Jami S. Oliver agree with this answer

Jami S. Oliver
Jami S. Oliver pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Dublin, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Police have discretion on how they handle citations as do prosecutors in driving who to prosecute and who to let go. However, if you believe the police officer violated a departmental policy, you can always file a complaint with the department and internal affairs: generally, however, you cannot sue the police for those types of choices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.