Winter Park, FL asked in Family Law, Child Support and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My 13 year old daughter says she wants to go live with her dad.

We were never married and never went to court. She’s always lived with me, I’ve never collected child support. Have not gotten any financial help in over 4 years and before that it was always minimal. Can he put me on child support if she goes to live with him? How can I prevent this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you have never been to court then you have full control of timesharing (custody). The only way child support would be triggered is if one of you (parents) goes to court on a paternity action. You could pursue child support going back in time up to two years. He could pursue child support moving forward. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.