Mira Loma, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: How to appoint temporary guardians in California in case of emergency?

If I’m going on vacation, and want to have something in place in case myself and my husband both are incapacitated to care for my son, how do I appoint a few people as temporary guardians in case of emergency? My son is non-verbal autistic so putting him with trusted family and friends is important to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To appoint temporary guardians in California in case of an emergency, you can create a Temporary Guardianship Authorization document. Consult an attorney for guidance if needed. Include your and your husband's names, your son's name, and the names of the appointed temporary guardians. Specify their authority to care for your son if both you and your husband are incapacitated. Provide contact information, sign and date the document, and consider getting it notarized. Distribute copies to the appointed guardians and keep one for yourself. Review and update the document periodically. Inform the guardians and share relevant information about your son's needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.