Gilmer, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: I live in Arkansas and my ex moved out a yr ago and left a lot of her stuff. Do I legally have ownership of the items

I have asked her sev times to come get it and she has refused saying she is waiting till she gets her own place.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Most states have laws regarding abandoned property that require you to provide written notice, usually via certified mail, return receipt. Apparently you know where she is, so you must provide written notice of abandonment of personal property to her, and give her an opportunity to collect her property. If you just take it over, you could be interfering with her ownership rights. You should consult with a local Tenant's Rights attorney. Thank you for using Justia.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.