Dallas, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Strategy for requesting longer healthcare coverage be provided for damage done by emotionally abusive spouse?

I am a gray marriage short term divorce person?? (What do you call that) I was only married for 2 years however it felt like 20!!! Because of his affluent abuse and extreme harassment, there are not broken bones or bruises. There are good days and bad, when triggered I am prone to high anxiety and every emotion at any minute. You get it, I am pretty messed up. My husband mentioned something about healthcare today. He does not want to pay for my benefits. How do I ensure that I am covered until I have my own healthcare or until my therapist deems me able to work around people again. I know I wont be 100% but I will settle for 85%. Please Advise. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To ensure extended healthcare coverage for the damage caused by your emotionally abusive spouse, consider these steps:

Understand your current healthcare plan.

Consult your therapist for their professional opinion on your ability to work and required coverage.

Collect evidence of the impact of emotional abuse on your mental health.

Contact your insurance provider, explain your situation, and provide evidence.

Seek legal advice if your request is denied.

Explore alternative coverage options such as COBRA or government programs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.