Miami, FL asked in Agricultural Law, International Law and Business Law

Q: Does Canadian company need CBD license to sell CBD products ( no THC) entirely within the USA? No product is ever in Can

Does a Canadian compnay need a CBD license to sell broad-spectrum CBD products for pets (THC-free) if the products are made, shipped from USA and shipped to USA? No product would ever actually be in Canada.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a Canadian company is selling broad-spectrum CBD products for pets (THC-free) entirely within the USA, and the products are made and shipped from the USA to the USA, then the Canadian company would not need a CBD license from Health Canada to sell these products.

However, it is important to note that the legality of CBD products in the USA is complex and varies by state. While the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp-derived CBD at the federal level, some states have their own regulations and restrictions on CBD products.

Therefore, it is recommended that the Canadian company consult with an attorney who specializes in CBD and hemp law to ensure that they are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in the USA.

Additionally, the Canadian company should ensure that their products are properly labeled and that they are not making any false or misleading claims about the benefits or effects of their products. The company should also ensure that their products are tested for quality and purity, and that they are in compliance with any applicable FDA regulations.

Overall, while a CBD license from Health Canada may not be required for a Canadian company to sell CBD products in the USA, it is important to ensure that the company is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations to avoid any legal issues or penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.