Miami, FL asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Illinois

Q: In Cook County Illinois, is there a time limit to quash a summons that was not properly or served at all?

A credit collection got a judgment against me nearly two decades ago. I was not aware of the proceedings, therefore never responded and it was a default judgment in 10/2005.

Subsequently the judgment was renewed in my new state of residence, again unbeknownst to me, and now are attempting to collect on the judgment.

Is it too late to attempt to quash the original service or what recourse do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You should be able to still challenge it in the court in which it was made.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.