Orlando, FL asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: In Florida: how do I get a car that I gifted to someone & a title back from someone?

1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You generally do not or can not because as you have stated, you have gifted it to them and put the title/transferred it into their name, this completes the transfer and gift. Your only hope would be some type of civil action with a civil litigation attorney related to some sort of misunderstanding, fraud, mental incapacity or such, otherwise, if the car is in their name via the title you transferred, they own it and you cannot reverse it most likely. Your starting point would be a civil litigation attorney for you to decide if it is worth it, see what options are available based on additional details and specifics of the circumstances that you could provide.

Terrence H Thorgaard and Stephen Arnold Black agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.