Zephyrhills, FL asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can my 18-year-old daughter move to Puerto Rico with her father and then ask me for child support?

My daughter had the choice live here for free and go to school or get a job and pay rent. She decided to be on her own and lived with a family member for almost a year and worked a job. Recently moved to P.R. and is living with her father. Now, she is asking for the child support card and money, b/c it is hers anyway. Said I would receive a letter or to send her the money. This is all coming from my daughter, not the father. I am unemployed at the moment, but my wife is working and pays the bills. Should we be worried about this? What kind of issues could we be facing? My rule was to go to school, but now she wants to move to P.R. and has talked about school there in recent weeks and a day ago throws this all at me. So, I wanted to her to go to school and now she may but I feel she may be trying to get me to pay child support by force. Not to learn but to get money b/c she doesn't have a job or want to work.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Question 1: Is there a current child support order in place? If no, then you have no financial obligation at all. Legally child support can only be pursued by the parents so your child has no legal standing to request child support from you. Finally, if your child is 18 then she is emancipated and child support is over. All of the above is based on Florida law (not PR, although that is probably not an issue). Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Pamela J. Fero agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.