Albuquerque, NM asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Oregon

Q: I have a lot of negative equity debt from an old repossessed car loan. I have no income or assets, what can help w/ this

In Oregon, I had an old car that broke down but somehow skirted around my comprehensive, gap, and insurance coverage. I was in a desperate situation and the car it was replaced with was overly expensive and I ended up with $12k of negative equity on top that I wouldn't have been able to mitigate with monthly payments until over 8 years had passed from the date of sale. I couldn't afford the payments and it was ultimately repossessed and sold so the debt had $19k paid back into it.

Everything is in a downturn at the moment. I have no income, no assets, and I'm fighting to continue my career and education. What are steps I can take to protect myself in this situation from being sued for the debt in the future if I cannot make any payments still?

I have only this debt and student loans, so would it be worth it to consider bankruptcy or just letting it age past the statute of limitations since I have no assets they could take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Consult a competent bankruptcy professional to assess your current financial situation. Give n your status, Chapter 7 might be just right for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.