Lake Orion, MI asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: What are my options if a licensed demolition company tries to put Lien on my property?


I had my property demolished recently and post demolition the contractor is asking for more money than the agreed amount stating that the city inspections had them fix the approach to garage as it was broken. We had gone back and forth over emails and texts as whose fault its, with contractor stating that it was broken before work started and I have pictures that my neighbor took, which shows they had excavators going up that approach. Since I only paid the agreed amount after city said the work is complete(which i why I choose the contractor to do the work per city ordinances). The owner of the company is threatening now to put a Lien on the property and sell it to recover the addition cost of fixing the approach. What are my options now? Am I going to loose my property?

Thanks in advance,

Have a blessed week.

1 Lawyer Answer
David Soble
David Soble
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: An attorney would need to review your current work order agreement with the contractor. Generally speaking, a licensed contractor has a legal remedy for when they are not paid on a particular project - they can record a construction lien on the underlying property, and, if payment is not received, foreclose on that property. So a real estate attorney would want to review the agreement and the underlying circumstances for the basis of the contractor's claim. See for more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.