Summerville, SC asked in Divorce, Military Law and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I am wanting to separate/divorce my military husband. We have 2 children together and have been married for 16 years.

I'm a SAHM

No money saved

No family near me

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. If you are considering separating or divorcing your military husband, there are several things you should be aware of:

1. Military divorce: Military divorce can be more complex than civilian divorce, as there are specific laws and regulations that apply to military service members and their families. You may want to consult with an attorney who has experience with military divorce to help you navigate the process.

2. Child custody and support: If you have children together, you will need to work out a custody and support agreement. This can be done through negotiation or mediation, or through the court system if necessary.

3. Spousal support: Depending on your financial situation and the length of your marriage, you may be entitled to spousal support (also known as alimony) from your husband.

4. Property division: You will need to divide your marital property, which includes any assets and debts acquired during your marriage. This can be a complex process, especially if you have no money saved and are financially dependent on your husband.

5. Support network: It can be challenging to go through a divorce without a support network. If you have no family near you, consider reaching out to friends, support groups, or counseling services for help and guidance.

It is important to take care of yourself and your children during this difficult time. Consider seeking the advice of an attorney or other professional to help you understand your legal rights and options, and to develop a plan for moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.