Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Military Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for South Carolina on
Q: How do I get my dd 214 from my first enlistment ? So I can apply for veterans benefits

I did 8 yrs in the navy and got discharged with an other than honorable discharge. I re-enlisted after 4 years Is there a way I can get a dd214 from my first enlistment ,

R. Davis Younts
R. Davis Younts
answered on Mar 28, 2020

You should submit a standard form (SF) 180 to the National Archives. The forms are available online. If there are errors on the DD214 or you need to upgrade your discharge, there is a process for that as well.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Admiralty / Maritime, Constitutional Law and Military Law for South Carolina on
Q: Are we in Admiralty law or common law. Cause our flags in our court room are gold fringed meaning Admiralty law
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 24, 2019

Courts today can apply elements of both types of law. It will come down to a matter of the type of case the court has subject matter jurisdiction over, so that if a federal district court is deemed to have admiralty jurisdiction over a matter, it will apply maritime law and the Federal Rules of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Carolina on
Q: I have been in the military for 20 years got a misdemeanor cdv in 1994 and it was pardoned in 2003 due to going to Iraq.

Now we have to get a concealed weapons permit. IS that going to be a problem for me? I am just confused on exactly what all a pardon restores.

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on May 20, 2017

The Pardon wipes away your conviction and you should be fine to have a concealed permit. I would recommend that you keep copies of your pardon paperwork in multiple places in the event it becomes an issue as to whether or not you have had your rights restored.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.