Byron Center, MI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: I am in rhe process of becoming executor of my deceased parents estate, I have no siblings, can I pay the cc debt after

I am deceased a nd have the money come out of the sale.of the home, so I don't have to deal with is this a thing, is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your question is not exactly clear, and it would benefit you greatly to contact a local probate attorney to review your whole situation to provide real advice.

Generally speaking, the debt is due when the debt is due and absent an agreement with the creditor to change that, you cannot FORCE a modification. That said, YOU do not owe the debt -- your parent's estate does so, depending on how the estate was organized, it may not need to be paid at all. THAT is why you need actual representation rather than 'general advice'.

Don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish' about this -- get local licensed representation to insure you take the proper steps now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.