Fulshear, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: My former employer in wisconsin is suing me. I live in another state now. Can they still sue me in wisconsin?

The money is from a relocation bonus. They lied about the job and benefits.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Yes it is possible for an employer to sue you in a state you do not reside in. Sometimes an agreement you signed with the employer will indicate what courthouse/the location where the employer can sue you. You will need to find an attorney who practices law in Wisconsin and can advise you on your options moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.