Olivebridge, NY asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Internet Law for New York

Q: The web host I've been with for more than 20 years just disabled my account because of a dispute with Discover Card.

I put in a dispute about a $100 unexplained fee with Discover, so they deactivated my account without notice. I now have no email on those accounts. Is it legal to do this without notice? I sent in many trouble tickets asking them what the fee was for but never got a solid answer. This is affecting me in many ways...financially, healthwise, and not being able to get verification codes. I was told by an AIT person that I would get a refund, but that never happened.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There are attorneys who specialize in IT matters, but your question remains open for a week. Until you're able to consult with one, from the standpoint of contract law, it could depend on your hosting agreement. It's possible the payment dispute was treated as a breach of the agreement, but an attorney would need to examine more closely. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.