Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Business Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: I am hiring a freelance to make an ad about the effectiveness of my vitamins. He says he is a Harvard graduate. If

it turns out he is not, am I liable? He comes from one of the largest freelance firms in US that list his credentials. I am in NYS

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jan 20, 2022

It will depend on what you use his credentials for.

Consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Are rewritten articles legal?

It is widely known, that it is illegal, to copy articles 1: 1 from Websites and then publish them under your own name on your blog.

However, what about rewritten articles? To what extent do articles have to be rewritten in order to be safe with the copyrights laws?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 25, 2021

Depends. You need to consult with an attorney.

You can write about the same topics, but the words and order, the creation itself, needs to be unique, in order to be safe.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Internet Law, Small Claims and Trademark for New York on
Q: Can I sue someone if they borrowed around 10k from me and he hasn’t returned it since.I’ve asked multiple times for it.

I have text history of giving him this money but I’m not sure if that’s considered legitimate evidence. This man continuously ghosts me everytime after he promised he would get it to me.

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 5, 2021

Yes, you can. Text history is a form of proof if it clearly indicates the debt and the other party did not dispute.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for New York on
Q: I am being sued for downloading media from the internet. What kind of lawyer do I need and where can I get one?

They are seeking a judgment for $18,400.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 18, 2021

If they are basing their lawsuit on infringement, a starting point could be to reach out to a copyright attorney. Based on other issues, possibly a civil litigation attorney. There is a tab above (Find-a-Lawyer). You could use that, or you could conduct your own independent searches. Good luck... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Is it legal to screenshot a Getty Images image I have embedded into my website from that website and then post it?

Getty Images has an embed feature where one can embed a photo into their website for free. If I make a private Google Site, embed a photo, and then screenshot that photo (from the Google Site), is it OK to include it in a non-commercial post on Instagram, or do I have to obtain a license for the... Read more »

James D. Williams
James D. Williams answered on Aug 4, 2020

Getty Images is not someone to mess around with. They are incredibly active in copyright infringement suits.

If they give you an embed feature, then they absolutely have terms and conditions on how the license works for that. I can practically guarantee, though will not without actually...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Can I post a video from a national morning show on my company social media channels?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 6, 2020

You're asking about media in which the owner can assert certain intellectual property rights. This does involve all the categories you correctly listed, but if you reposted in the Copyright Law category, the attorneys there could probably offer the most meaningful insight. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: User data

I own a .com cosmetics website where users leave their personal information including age range, skin tone and skin concerns (acne, eczema etc) and they have an option to show or hide this information on their public profile. Giving them an option to hide this information is enough not to violate... Read more »

George E. Patsis
George E. Patsis answered on May 30, 2020

Privacy laws are complex, you should consult with an attorney specializing in this area. You will also need an attorney to draft the website terms and conditions.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for New York on
Q: Hi I like to know if slander in social media such as YouTube and harassment is permitted !

Individual was a former consumer

Who engaged and found a loop hole to extort And slander

After extortion they posted a social media video via YouTube

And provoking daily harassment

Item was shipped from New York to California in which the buyer not only extorted... Read more »

George E. Patsis
George E. Patsis answered on May 19, 2020

“The elements of a cause of action [to recover damages] for defamation are a ‘false statement, published without privilege or authorization to a third party, constituting fault as judged by, at a minimum, a negligence standard, and it must either cause special harm or constitute defamation per... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Employment Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: my job (a retail company) is requiring us to write online reviews on the products sold on the site. Is this illegal?

Can I refuse? We are still employed - my job has 50 and or less employees

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Apr 27, 2020

Is it illegal? No. Is it sketchy? Yes. Can you be fired for not doing it? Maybe. It would be hard to prove improper conduct by the employer.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: I hired a lawyer but the district attorney wont respond

What should I do

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Nov 3, 2019

Speaking as a defense attorney, this is frustrating for us. We leave voice messages and send emails hoping to engage with the DA to keep out client's matters moving, but sometimes they don't want to engage. Either they are too busy or avoiding us until they get a handle on the case.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Do I have a case if so what do I do

I purchased a clawee app & purchased coins the cams glitched making it impossible to win and it did it on almost every game they had the side cams angled on weird spots like the wall & in a clawee game that makes it so u can't judge where to drop it I contacted them for my money back... Read more »

Jonathan David Warner
Jonathan David Warner answered on Feb 3, 2019

So, you want to sue over a Facebook game...?

Read over the agreement you signed when you gave them money. This is likely where the trail will end, as you'll quickly discover that they probably have the right to do what they did.

Also, how much did you pay them? If we're...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: I am a US resident. I have a prior DUI from 1995. Guilty and convicted. Can I enter Canada today?
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 4, 2019

This is a Canadian immigration law question. Check with your Buffalo-area US immigration attorneys for a referral.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for New York on
Q: Can I sue my child's school for failing to secure his personal data?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 15, 2018

I do not practice in this area. But I noticed that no one picked up your question for almost a month. Please keep in mind that if the matter involves a public school, the City of New York, or city agency, notice of claim issues could be involved, which can be in the order of days. Consulting an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property, Trademark and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Trademark issue from previous owner?

I did a deal to buy an website, the owner of the website, agreed to sell me the full website with the trademark, however after I sent all the money, he just sent me the domain name, and he decided not to follow with our agreement. He is currently keeping the trademark and ask me a crazy amount of... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Aug 7, 2018

Do you have a written agreement that shows he agreed to assign the trademark to you? If so, enforcing the agreement may be the easiest option.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for New York on
Q: Is it illegal to suggest someone should be raped or that they are "asking to be raped" online?
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway answered on Jun 20, 2018

That’s a general question and it depends largely on the individual circumstances, but here is my shot; it is likely not illegal nor a civil tort to generally “suggest “X” should be raped”.

The second statement has a better chance being viable in civil court, under the theory of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Internet Law for New York on
Q: My daughter is 15 and a 19 year old is threatening her in school and social media. Can I press charges for harassment?
Andrew S. Tabashneck
Andrew S. Tabashneck answered on May 8, 2018

In New York, there are a number of harassment laws. Generally such laws prohibit a wide array of activities intended to harass, annoy, threaten, or alarm people.

If this 19 year old is threatening and engaging in behavior that would cause a reasonable person to feel annoyed, then at the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law, Sexual Harassment and Communications Law for New York on
Q: I was in a long-distance relationship with a guy from Florida who threatened to leak my nudes

He started to threaten me when we broke up, it happened multiple times, and after each time he said he deleted my pictures.

I don't know if he still has them or not, what can I do if I find out he leaked them?

Michael Diederich Jr.
Michael Diederich Jr. answered on Apr 5, 2018

My recommendation: hire a Florida attorney to discuss the issue, and write your former boyfriend a letter. If he is trying to obtain something from you under threat of releasing the photos, the local district attorney may also be interested and perhaps able to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Internet Law, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for New York on
Q: A friend directed me to a web site that was using a photo of my 9 year old daughter. No permission or consent was given

By me or her mother. The site also was asking for donations for the homeless. My daughter is not homeless. What can I do , is this a violation of her rights?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2017

Certainly sounds like a "false light" case. You should contact a member of the NY State Trial Lawyers Assn who handles libel and similar cases--they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for New York on
Q: Can something be filed to keep info from being public on internet?


Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Aug 13, 2017

It depends on what kind of information you're talking about. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for New York on
Q: is public access tv considered public domain?

i wanna post a rare interview from a public access tv show from the early '90's onto my YouTube channel but don't wanna get my channel deleted

Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay answered on Aug 7, 2017

Probably not, contact the shows producers and ask for permission / a license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.