Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: If the local cops harassed me and ignored my rights and several occasions how do I find a lawyer and how long do I have

When my ex left she told the police a bunch of lies to make it easier for her to leave state with my daughter. Afterwards I was harassed to the point that I wasn't even able to get my belongings from my house because literally every time I was seen I was pulled over and searched. I even fell asleep in my truck in my own driveway and got woken up to being removed from my truck and handcuffed while at least 8 cops searched my vehicle after not finding anything they walked straight into my home without warrant or permission and searched my home also to not find anything. I was stopped and searched at least 20 if not more times a bunch of the searches are video recorded and some of the other searches I have multiple eye witnesses. Every local lawyer I have asked quickly refused to handle a case against the local police departments and narcotic officers. Are they allowed to treat someone this way and get away with it?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your rights and remedies in this situation depend upon the particular facts and circumstances of your particular case, and some of those facts may not be within your knowledge at this time.

You should consult an attorney with substantial experience in civil rights litigation. F. Lee Merritt, who was formerly a Democratic candidate for Texas Attorney General, is one of the highest profile attorneys in the State of Texas who regularly practices in this area of law, particularly when there is a concern about racial discrimination by law enforcement.

There are other attorneys scattered around the State as well. With this particular type of case, it is less important to retain a local attorney and far more important to retain an attorney with specific prior experience in this particular area of law. This type of case can become very expensive, so it is equally important that you take the financial steps necessary to ensure that you have the resources to fund what is often protracted and complex litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.