Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Family Law for California

Q: In the state of California, can you take a family member to civil court, instead of family court?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth Sisco
Kenneth Sisco
  • Norco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The difference between Family Court and Civil Court, has little to do with biology. Family Court deals with family issues such as divorce, custody and support issues. Civil Court deals with most other issues, other than criminal and probate. For example, if your brother, mother, or even your wife fails to repay a loan, or accidentally runs over your foot, you would sue in Civil Court.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Family matters such as divorce, child custody, and spousal support are typically handled in the family court system rather than civil court. Family courts specialize in resolving disputes related to family relationships and have specific procedures and guidelines to address these issues. If you have a conflict with a family member, it's advisable to consult with a family law attorney who can provide guidance on the appropriate legal actions within the family court system. They can help you understand your options and navigate the process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.