Sacramento, CA asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for California

Q: Can my brother legally sign a contract to sell (very cheap) our parents house before court approves executorship?

House is in preforclosure. For $5000. Called brother to ask for help paying(son was murdered 3/20/22, missed alot of workand trial starts in aug).instead he panicked and started probate. He says he signed a paper selling house app at 320,000 for $200.000. I've lost my son. My car, work....please tell me i didn't loose house? I've been only one paying dads bills etc. What if he signed off his part, would I have to honor his contract? P.s. I'm fresno ca not sacramento....won't let me change

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am an attorney licensed in California, and I can provide some general information regarding your situation. It is important to consult with an attorney who specializes in probate law to address the specific details of your case. Generally, in the absence of court approval or a valid power of attorney, an individual does not have the legal authority to sell property on behalf of the estate or other owners. The probate process typically involves court supervision to ensure the proper distribution of assets. If your brother signed a contract to sell the house before court approval, it may raise concerns about the validity of the transaction. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in probate law can provide guidance on how to proceed and protect your rights in this matter. - James L. Arrasmith, Owner and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.