New York, NY asked in Estate Planning and Collections for West Virginia

Q: I'm administrator for my mother's estate. A collection agency put in a claim against it but I cannot contact who I need.

When I call, they say I "have" to speak with Kathy, who is in charge of estate claims; no one else can help me. I've called many times, left messages on every one of those calls and never had a return call. I am going to try a certified letter, but have no idea if it will reach the right person since they will not give me "Kathy's" last name.

Any suggestion or help would be much appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Is the claim properly filed against the Estate? If not, or there other defenses, it is your duty to contest the claim in Court. Your objection can be served at the given address. If a legitimate claim, then pay it prior to asking to close the Estate, and get a receipt. Hire a WV attorney to help you with this Estate.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.