New York, NY asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: If my case is dismissed in a summary judgment can I use the savings statue CPLR 205A.

My case has two defendants. My case was dismissed because the Judge stated I did not state a cause of action.

The second defendant's case was dismissed on a summary judgment. Can I bring them both back under the

Savings Statue, CPLR 205A? Or can I bring them back again period? Also, the judge gave me the cost and disbursements

that I need to pay to both parties; however, I have been since inception on a fee waiver and have also appealed on

a fee waiver. Can an appeal overturn that decision? In addition, can't I file bankruptcy if either side proceeds with collecting?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson

A: While CPLR 205-a may apply strictly to extend the statute of limitations (if you are past it), it does not get around res judicata, which is a doctrine that bars re-litigation of matters that have already been decided.

You would also have to look at the order dismissing the case to see if it was with or without prejudice (the latter meaning without prejudice to the filing of another case). You may be able to appeal provided you file a timely notice of appeal.

Because costs have already been awarded against you, I would proceed with caution in filing the same suit that has been dismissed already; you do not want to get hit with any form of sanctions. In that vein, I would suggest you seek counsel to preserve your rights.

Peter J. Weinman and Steven Warren Smollens agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.