Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: In Texas, is it legal for a police officer to disclose false information about someone having an outstanding warrant?

A police officer told a family member of mine that I currently have an outstanding arrest warrant, when in fact I do not. Isn't that considered "slander" or "harassment"?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It may be considered slanderous if your family member believed the police officer. If the family member acted on that information to cause you economic damages in some manner, you may have a cause of action against the police officer for slander. The officer is likely to raise the affirmative defense of official immunity which you will have to overcome typically by evidence that the officer was not acting in good faith (e.g. he had no basis whatsoever to believe that you had an outstanding warrant and completely made up the accusation).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.