San Angelo, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I lived and worked in the same home as a caregiver. I was there almost 2 years. I made $500 a month and given a room

And board. I caught my boss physically abusing grand daughters. I confronted him he told me to get out. I did turn him in to police and CPS was notified. Was kicked out without last pay immediately. Now I'm homeless. Do I have recourse?5

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission for your unpaid wages. You may also be able to file a claim for unemployment compensation depending on the terms and circumstances of your employment. If, for some reason, you did not receive a Form W-2 or Form 1099 from your employer for tax purposes, and especially if you did not report your wages on your income tax return, I recommend you consult a lawyer with experience in employment law before making such a claim to avoid possible unpleasant repercussions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.