Tampa, FL asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: landlord put an eviction in my name cause my parents are undocumented i never signed any contract,can i get it expunged?

never signed any form of contract i was the only member in the household who is documented, living state is haines city florida

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you mean the landlord filed an eviction suit, and by "expunge", you mean erased from the court records, the answer is no. That would be the case whether you win or lose the lawsuit. If the eviction suit is still pending, hire a lawyer to try to get it resolved without an eviction judgment being issued. If you already received an eviction judgment against you, and it was recent, see a lawyer to determine if there's a possibility of getting it vacated or if there are any grounds for appeal. Regarding your parents being undocumented immigrants, I'm wondering why you mention that. A landlord may file an eviction suit against tenants who are undocumented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.