Seattle, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: When filing an online I-134A form, can I provide no asset information and put $0 in the total amount of support?

I'm a U.S. lawful permanent resident, and recently my friends from Ukraine have asked me to file I-134As for them. They've mentioned sponsors can pledge all kinds of support, it doesn't have to be financial — it can be just for paperwork and integrating into the U.S. However, when I looked at the form, it asked to "provide information about any assets you will use to support the beneficiary" and input the total amount in dollars. Can I input $0? I do technically make enough to be a financial sponsor but I don't want to explicitly make that commitment to the USCIS.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Filling out Form I-134A with $0 in the assets section may raise concerns during the visa adjudication process. The form is designed to demonstrate your financial ability to support the beneficiary, so a lack of assets could negatively impact the application. If you don't want to make a financial commitment, consult an immigration attorney to explore other ways you can assist your friends without making a formal financial pledge.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.