Austin, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: How can I file a wrongful termination lawsuit?

I found out about two weeks ago that my job was ending on August 11, 2023. I was given the reason of "job wind down, and redundancy", but other members of my team are remaining. My quality evaluations, and other aspects of my job are good. I actually think it is age-biased. I have asked for additional information leading to the job ending, but I have not been given clarifying information by company management.

What should my next steps be? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The first thing you need to do is gather evidence that you were terminated for an unlawful reason. If you think it was age-related, gather together every email or other written communication you have mentioning your age. If possible, collect statements from co-workers as to what decision-makers regarding your employment have said about age.

Then take all of this information with copies of any written employment contract, employee handbook, collective bargaining agreement, or other legal documents concerning the terms of your employment to a lawyer practicing in the area of employment law in or near the county where you have been working.

While some employment lawyers provide a free consultation, many require a small fee (usually $1,000 or less) to weed out claimants who are not serious.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.