Houston, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: I was wrongfully terminated from my job I need justice. The company had no police reporting nor proof. I did not do it.

My name has been tarnished and my heart has been also I would never do anything like this. I am now unemployed almost homeless and I deserve justice for this wrong doing. Can anyone help me please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In general, it is unlawful to terminate a person's employment based on the person's race, color, ethnicity, nationality, sex, religion, age, or disability. There are also some situations in which it is unlawful to terminate a person's employment if that person refuses to engage in an illegal act with certain criminal penalties attached to it. If you think you have been wrongfully terminated, you can file a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission or the EEOC against your employer.

Apart from that, an employer usually can terminate an employee for any reason not prohibited by the express contract of employment. Unless you were a civil servant, union employee with a collective bargaining agreement, or otherwise subject to a statute or contract that requires your employer to follow some sort of specific process prior to terminating your employment, it is unlikely that "police reporting" or some sort of "proof" is required for your employer to terminate you.

You should consult a lawyer with experience in employment law in or near the county where you were working for specific advice on your particular situation to determine whether you have a valid claim for wrongful termination. If you have a written contract of employment or employee handbook or similar documents limiting your employer's right to terminate you, you should definitely bring it with you to the consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.