Fontana, CA asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Foreclosure and Probate for California

Q: Can I sale a property in California as the executive of the estate?

Or do I have to go in the deed? It’s my grandfathers property it’s not contested

2 Lawyer Answers
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answer to your question depends on the type of powers you were given by the Probate Court. If you haven't yet been through the probate process and the deceased person had a Will (not a trust), you won't be able to do anything with the property until you are issued Letters by the Probate Court. See a probate attorney for assistance. Best wishes!

Robert P. Taylor agrees with this answer

Robert P. Taylor
Robert P. Taylor pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Huntington Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you need to transfer real property, by Wll, and you're the Executor. You'll need to do it through the Probate Court. You may want to look for some lawyers close by on Justia or consult your local bar association as they probably have a qualified referral list. Good luck!

Rob T.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.