Texarkana, TX asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: My Ex Abducted our child in CA over the summer. The DA in CA did not press criminal charges. can i still press charges?

The DA in sacramento were helpful in getting the child back but they were not able to press criminal charges as he ultimately complied to the release of the child. I am unable to get a protection order in CA as i am no longer a resident or in AR as the crime was not committed here and there were no physical attacks on me. how can i go about pressing criminal charges from parental kidnapping/endangerment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler

A: Charging decisions are at the discretion of a prosecutor or DA (synonymous terms dependant on how a State titles the position). You may try to charge the ex in your home state and the authorities then make the decision. You also may wish to contact your divorce attorney to explore whether you can file a show cause motion (which begins a contempt processes).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.