Staten Island, NY asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Can probate happen 60yrs after death? Is there a process to determine land ownership in PR? What of multiple heirs?

My wife's dad passed in '95- there was no probate cause she thought he had no assets. Her mom recently passed & discover pat-gf left 2 properties in PR to her dad & his 6 siblings (gf passed '80). Have copy of will. Her dad was holdout on liquidating & apparently never signed over power of attorney (several letters from family & lawyers urging him to do so). Found assessments for both properties ('81) & copy of her dad's "speed letter" to Dept of Treasury in San Juan PR requesting to pay all back taxes on the property (as of '85)- don't know if that happened but would that give him credit for additional percentage?

2 other letters found: letter ('85) from her father's aunt (her pat-gf's sister) claiming there was a 8-900 meters that did "not appear registered in the name of anyone, secondly that since -name- died no contributions are paid, thirdly that a declaration of heirship had to be made."

Also letter from someone signing as wife's dad's daughter from prior relationship.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Warren Smollens
Steven Warren Smollens
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You will need to reach out to a lawyer in New York also authorizes to practice law in Puerto Rico or to an attorney in Puerto Rico.

Bonnie Lawston agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.