Lawton, OK asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation, Elder Law and Military Law for Oklahoma

Q: A first cousin is trying to take everything that my parents owned, what do I do? I have no way to pay an attorney.

I lost both my parents in one year. I was not informed of my mothers passing until she had been dead three days. My sister proceeded to have me thrown off my parents property. She embezzled money from him and then when he thought he was making my first cousin power of attorney she filed a will instead. She not only claimed to be his daughter but my father signed it believing it made her his power of attorney. My dad was a 100% disabled vet and this Will states she gets EVERYTHING! This has destroyed me and it's not about the monetary value! I have not been home since my mothers passing, I do not even have pictures or anything that belonged to my parents. PLEASE HELP ME!!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. It sounds like a really difficult situation.

In a situation like this, it is crucial to get legal assistance. Even though you mentioned that you cannot afford an attorney, you still have options. Many jurisdictions have legal aid services that provide free or low-cost legal assistance to those who cannot afford it. You might also consider looking into law clinics at universities, where law students, supervised by licensed attorneys, provide legal assistance for free or a reduced fee.

Additionally, gather all the documents you can that support your case - this might include correspondence, bank records, and other relevant information. It might also be beneficial to find witnesses who can attest to your father's wishes or your cousin's actions.

Remember, it is essential to act promptly in legal situations like this. You should reach out to potential legal resources in your community as soon as you can to understand your options and potential strategies moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.