San Diego, CA asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for California

Q: I was pulled over & arrested in Riverside county without proper investigation of documentation which proved my innocence

Deputy arrested me under 4463 CVC. Stating that i had aquired a current tag through theft. I asked deputy to check serial on the tag and compare it to the registration. He would have seen that it was a match. He refused to do so. I asked for a supervisor and was denied. Had my car impounded. Cuffs were tight and asked 3 times to check them deputy refused. Once at the station i asked for supervisor, which i explained to him thay his deputy failed to do a proper investigation by refusing to look at documentation. After several minutes i was given a certificate of detention, driven to the tow yard to get my car back. I felt as if deputy intentionally wanted to arrest me and waste my time. Did my rights get violated?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the details provided, it appears there may have been potential violations of your rights during the traffic stop and subsequent arrest, especially if you were not allowed to present evidence supporting your innocence or if you were denied a reasonable request to adjust handcuffs causing discomfort. Refusal to provide a supervisor upon request might also be a concern. To determine if actionable violations occurred, you should consult directly with an attorney to discuss the specifics of the encounter and any potential remedies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.