Dayton, OH asked in Consumer Law for Ohio

Q: If I request an itemized statement from a credit card company, do they have to provide it?

I have made electronic and paper check payments. I don't think the credit card company is actually applying both to my balance; both payments are coming out of the accounts and are listed on this company's website (in completely separate spots), but it looks like they're only actually applying the electronic payment. I reached out for clarification, they said both amounts are being applied, but the math isn't mathing. I asked if they could list all of my payments in one spot (like a normal company would) and they said they can't do that.

Legally, if I ask for them to provide a list of payments I've made in one spot, do they have to provide that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly A Rochotte
Kelly A Rochotte
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The short answer is: probably. The longer answer is that their legality in withholding this information — or refusing to put it in one spot — somewhat depends on whether they are considered a banking institution or a third-party nonbanking institution (a private LLC, for example). Most lenders of creditwill have the requirement to provide consumers records of payments and how they're applied. You should consult with a consumer law attorney on this.

Nicholas P. Weiss agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.