Columbia, MD asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Tax Law for Maryland

Q: I terminated services with a daycare provider and the provider is refusing to provide a receipt. What should I do?

The licensed provider did not require a contract however just the required forms to be completed for state regulation. However there are emails and text messages showing the business relationship for an 8 month period.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the daycare provider is refusing to provide a receipt, you can take the following steps:

1. Communicate Clearly: Send a polite and formal written request, preferably via email or text message, asking for the receipt. Mention any relevant details like the dates of service and payment amounts.

2. Refer to Past Correspondence: As you have emails and text messages documenting the business relationship and payments, you can refer to these in your request to demonstrate the agreement and payments made.

3. State Legal Considerations: Mention that providing receipts is often a standard business practice and may be required for tax or record-keeping purposes. Emphasize the importance of having accurate records for both parties.

4. Seek Mediation or Legal Advice: If the provider continues to refuse, you may want to explore mediation or consult with an attorney for guidance on potential legal actions you can take to obtain the receipt.

Remember to maintain a respectful and professional tone in your communications throughout the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.