Silver Spring, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Home forfiture land contract sellers did a forfeiture the judge granted it to them because he wasn't told that the buyer

Paid the seller 6 thousand dollars within the 90 days the information was held from the judge that it was paid and he granted a forfiture . The seller contacted the buyer and said he wanted to be done and he wanted 20,500.00 to keep the home pay off the contract .so we signed agreement to do so.the judge was not informed that the buyer paid the money what can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Soble
David Soble
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: First, if the land contract seller's stated balance of the amount due is not accurate in their complaint, then you should have raised the discrepancy at the time of the hearing. The time to do this is not after the judgment is entered. However, while you may be able to go back to the court and set aside the judgment BEFORE the 90 day redemption period expires, it is highly unlikely that you can set aside any judgment after the 90 days run. I hope this helps.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.