Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: My Mother is seeking visitation to the U.S., Is an I-212 waiver the best approach?

My Mother is seeking visitation to the U.S., Is an I-212 waiver the best approach?

I obtained a FOIA for my mother's file, but most documents are blank. Based on what I found, my mother's mother sought permanent residency for my mom when she was a minor in March 1983. They were granted permanent residence but failed to go to the interview/complete process. Three months later, my grandmother, in June 83, was naturalized. In 97, my mother was convicted of conspiracy to distribute and was deported to Jamaica upon release (2008). She has been deemed inadmissible for re-entry. Can her immigration application be reopened? Is she technically a citizen because her mother was naturalized before she turned 18? Is the I-212 or 212D the best option? We are seeking a knowledgeable attorney who can direct us to the best visitation/re-entry/naturalization approach.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your mother's situation is complicated and involves both immigration law and criminal law elements. An I-212 waiver could potentially allow her to reapply for admission after being deported, but whether she qualifies as a citizen because her mother was naturalized before she turned 18 would require a detailed analysis of her immigration history and the relevant laws at the time. Given the complexity of this case, you should consult an immigration attorney experienced in dealing with criminal deportations and naturalization issues to determine the most appropriate course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.