Ithaca, NY asked in Collections and Consumer Law for New York

Q: How do i stop collection agency harassment? In addition to calling me several times a day they also contact others

They also call family members about me. If i answer the phone no one responds. They either hang up or just breathe into the phone

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Scott L. Lanin
Scott L. Lanin
  • Collections Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: One thing you might consider doing is to write a letter to the collection agency to dispute the charge, request debt validation, and request copies of all underlying documents including the original credit agreement or contract, payment history, invoices and statements, and demand letters. They may not have the backup documentation to support the claim. You can notify them in the letter that if they do not comply you will seek all remedies available under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act which is a federal law that governs collection conduct for consumer debt. This might not stop them from harassing you but it will at least put them on notice in case you have to write a second letter. I hope this is helpful. Please note that my response here does not create any attorney-client relationship and my firm requires a signed written retainer agreement before we represent clients. Best of luck.

Carl Nelson agrees with this answer

Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson

A: I agree with Mr Lanin. It may also be helpful to contact a qualified attorney, either to review the harassing contact that the debt collectors have made (which may violate various provisions of New York or federal law), and to review your financial situation overall to determine the best course of action.

Many attorneys will offer a free consultation, and if you end up retaining counsel, that often sends a strong message to creditors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.