Kennewick, WA asked in Traffic Tickets for Washington

Q: Can I request dashcam footage for a Speeding Ticket?

In Washington State, Kitsap County.

I got a traffic ticket for going 78 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. I know for a fact that I was not going that fast, I would have accepted a ticket for going 68-70 MPH as that is how fast I was going.

A couple moments before I got pulled over by the officer I pulled over into the right hand lane to let someone(more than likely the person he clocked) pass me. After I let him pass I went back into the left hand lane to slowly go by those in the right hand lane. I look up in my rear view mirror and see flashing lights less than a foot behind my vehicle.

Am I able to request the dashcam footage of me being pulled over by the officer to show the court the speed the dashcam shows the moment I was getting pulled over?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sure, you can request the dash video. Generally speaking, WSP and the cities have dash cameras, the sheriff's office does not. There are some exceptions, but just be aware not every police car has a dash cam. The best way to obtain the video is normally through a public records request, which may easily take 30 days to get. You can also request the officer's written report, which is possibly more helpful to you.

You should also be aware that the dash cam may not show the speed; in fact I would be very surprised if your speed is shown on dash video.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.