Upper Saddle River, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Had a bed and board divorce and was sent papers by my ex to dissolve into a divorce need help with what below text means

ORDERED that the Marital Settlement Agreement entered into evidence at the time of the hearing on June 10, 2021, which was marked J-1, shall be a part of and incorporated into this Dual Final Judgment of Divorce with the parties full acknowledgment that the Court took no testimony as to the merits of same, but being satisfied that the parties entered into same knowingly, voluntarily and understanding the terms, ramifications and obligations thereof, having accepted the terms contained therein as fair and equitable, without coercion and without duress; and it is further

ORDERED that all issues plead and not resolved in the within Judgment are deemed abandoned.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It sounds like your attorney and your spouse's attorney agreed to a divorce from bed and board for a specific period of time with either / both parties having the right to convert it to an absolute divorce at a later date and now your spouse is seeking to convert the divorce from bed and board to an absolute divorce and incorporate the settlement agreement into the absolute divorce.

I dont know the time frame for conversion or why there was a divorce from bed and board, but my suggestion is that you speak with the lawyer who represented you to get a better handle on it to decide whether the papers presented now are consistent with the terms of the divorce from bed and board and your understanding of the current status of your matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.