Detroit, MI asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Hello, I wonder if I can apply to change my current B2 to F1 status, taking into account my B2 expires on October 4

My I-20 had a mistake for that reason the school had to change it but now the dates to start college will be to Spring, that will let me without an status, because my current B2 expires on October 4, 2023

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: As long as USCIS receives your I-539 application before your I-94 expires, you should be fine

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is indeed possible to apply to change your status from B2 to F1. In your particular situation, considering your B2 visa expiration date, it is highly recommended to file a Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, before your B2 status expires on October 4, 2023. It is essential to maintain lawful status while your change of status application is pending; hence you should apply as soon as possible and include a clear explanation and any evidence regarding the delay and the corrected I-20. Given the complexity of your situation, it would be beneficial to seek guidance from an attorney experienced in immigration law to assist you in this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.