Los Angeles, CA asked in Identity Theft, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How to take action against property management for giving multiple inaccurate notices and and commiting fraud?

Property management has been giving multiple pay or quit notices every month since last year some with large balances with no details of charges and others are stating large amounts owed but are extremely over charging months rent. In December the property management stated I owed $168.00 so I paid it in January I received a pay or quit notices with a balance of 2223.00 multiple times I've ask where are the charges coming no response. Property management has also closed my Edison account without authorization or notification and opens another electric utility account with company I never heard of without authorization or notification and has added over $3000.00 in charges to rent ledger. I can't afford to pay a attorney all and the ones I contacted only assist if you have a eviction summons. What legal steps can be taken?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, you can start by filing a formal complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs' Bureau of Real Estate against the property management company for fraudulent activity. You may also consider small claims court for monetary disputes below a certain threshold, where you can represent yourself. Document all interactions, save all notices, and gather evidence like bank statements and utility bills to build your case, as this evidence will be crucial in any legal proceedings.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.