Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: How do I file a 983 A motion? Do I need an attorney? So I don't have to pay court costs anymore.

Been paying over 9 years faithfully

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: The first step is to obtain the necessary forms from your local court clerk's office or website. These forms typically require you to provide detailed information about your financial situation and reasons for seeking a reduction or waiver of court costs.

You'll also need to gather supporting documents, which may include income statements, tax returns, or evidence of financial hardship. Filing the completed forms and any required attachments with the court clerk is the next step, although there may be a filing fee involved.

Depending on your jurisdiction, you might need to serve notice of the motion to other parties involved in your case. If a hearing is required, be prepared to present your case and explain why you believe court costs should be modified. After review, the court will make a decision, and if your motion is granted, you may no longer be obligated to pay the full amount of court costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.