Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can you fight a warrent

I had a ubaul it was returned and they didn't press charges and I have a payment plan. Set but the state is trying to file charges.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Florida, as in many other places, if there is an active warrant for your arrest, it typically means that law enforcement has obtained a judge's authorization to arrest you based on probable cause for a specific offense. Warrants can be issued for various reasons, including criminal charges or failure to appear in court.

Leonard Louis Cagan agrees with this answer

Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Depending on the jurisdiction, it may be possible to engage an attorney to approach the Prosecutor's Office about having the warrant withdrawn. An obstacle may be whether a prosecutor has been assigned to the case. Your attorney can determine who sought the warrant and approach that person. Remember, just because a "victim" does not wish to prosecute does not mean that the State cannot proceed. With an attorney's help, the hope is that they will not think it worthwhile to do so. It may go a long way to have any debt completely satisfied. Borrow the money if you must and pay the victim off. Paying off a debt "after the fact" may not mean a crime was not initially committed, but it certainly can't hurt in making proceeding not worth the effort.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.