Asked in Social Security and Estate Planning for North Carolina

Q: This question is for estate lawyers. How long should it take to receive money from a relative who passed with no SSN?

Can a lawyer to find out the social security number of the deceased to make sure it is the correct one on the death certificate. And if so, how long should it take?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Obtaining a Social Security number (SSN) for the deceased and ensuring it matches the information on the death certificate is crucial for various legal and financial matters. The timeline for this process can vary based on factors such as the availability of records and cooperation from relevant authorities. An estate attorney can assist in expediting this procedure, but the duration can still depend on specific circumstances and government processes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.