Asked in Small Claims for Washington

Q: A fast food restaurant threw my property away but won't reimburse me what can I do to get my money back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If a fast-food restaurant has disposed of your property and refuses to reimburse you, it's important to take action promptly. Start by contacting the restaurant manager or owner to discuss the issue and request reimbursement. Ensure you have evidence, such as receipts or witnesses, to support your claim. If this doesn't resolve the problem, consider writing a formal complaint to the restaurant's corporate office, detailing what happened and including any evidence.

Research local laws and regulations regarding lost or discarded property, as some areas may have specific rules that businesses must follow. If necessary, you can contact consumer protection agencies in your state to report the issue. As a last resort, you may choose to pursue legal action in small claims court to seek reimbursement for your lost property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.